Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Joe's Valley Excitement

I don't have any photo's, but wanted to post about the excitement and scare that we had over the 24th of July weekend. I'm sitting in a Hospital room with John as a the patient, this is John's 5th and hopefully last day here. Let me explain how we got here.
John went with Nichole, Erik, Brig, and Nate to his family reunion at Joe's Valley. They were suppossed to camp there with Greg, Freddie and some of their kids for 3 days. Noah was at boy scout camp and I opted to stay home with the two youngest kids rather than tent it this year.
I got a phone call at 1:30 pm on Friday, their second day at Joe's Valley, from Nichole. The conversation went something like this:
Nichole: Hi, Mom.
Mom: Hi Nichole, where are you? (Knowing she should be out of cell phone range all weekend?)
N: I'm on top of the skyline drive on a 4 wheeler ride.
M: Who's phone are you using? (I didn't recognize the caller ID.)
N: Uhm, just a friends. (???) (It was an off duty police officer's.)
M: Oh, are you having fun?
N: Yea, Mom, I need to tell you something, (pause), but I'm going to cry. (as her voice breaks up.)
M: (alarmed) Nik, what is going on?
N: Mom, there's been an accident. Dad is fine, but they are "life flighting" him to a hospital in Salt Lake. (crying)
M: (forceful) Nik, I need you to stop crying and talk to me, I'm having a hard time understanding you. What happened?
N: (getting control) Dad had an accident on the 4 wheeler, he is fine, there is a nurse here with us keeping him still, but the helicopter just landed and they are taking him to the hospital, but he is fine. (she then tells me what hospital)
M: Tell me more Nichole! What is wrong with Dad?
N: Dad is fine, they are just life flighting him to the hospital.
M: (LOUDLY) Nik, If dad is FINE, why are they LIFEFLIGHTING him to the hospital! Tell me more!!! (I KNEW he wasn't FINE if they were life flighting him!)
N: Dad is fine. The nurse thinks he broke ribs and probably his shoulder, but his vitals are fine.
M: Can I talk to him?
N: No, the just put him into the helicopter. Meet him at the hospital in about an hour.
M: Who is with you? Are you all okay?
N: (Tells me that Uncle Greg is with them, and a woman who happend to be a Nurse came upon the accident immediately.) We are o'kay, I love you mom, I've got to go.
M: I love you too. Please call me back in a few hours so we can communicate on what is going on with Dad and what you all should do.

This is a phone call no one ever wants to get!!! I was fixing lunch for Isaac & Gracie one minute and then the next trying hard not to panic or fall apart in from of my little ones. I called my sister Heidi & my mom. Then I went to my bedroom and closed the door to kneel and pray for John. I prayed that he would be o'kay and I prayed that I could handle what lie ahead for us. I knew if the accident involved John's lower body, he could be confined to a wheel chair the rest of his life. I had a real calm feeling come over me. I felt that John was going to be o'kay. Heidi brought her kids to my house to watch my kids and then she drove me to the hospital. I was grateful to have her with me not knowing what I'd find at the hospital. In that hour between getting the phone call from Nichole and meeting John at the Hospital I feel that my heart was aching for what John and my kids left up on the mountain where going through. And I felt that my mind was having a hard time comprehending what was really happening. I didn't cry much, but I was shaking on and off. I tried to push all negative thoughts away and geared up to focus on helping my husband and getting my kids home.
I met John in the emergency/trama room. He was in a lot of pain, but was calm. He was more worried about "messing up everyone's vacation" than he was about what had happened to himself. The doctors and staff here were just wonderful, keeping us informed of every step/test of what they were doing and looking for. I really felt John was in the best hands. I also started to hear from John the story of what happened and realized really all the little miracles that were in place to help John up on that mountain.
John's injuries include 5 broken ribs and a punchered lung. While very painful and potential dangerous, especially the lung, we feel very blessed that it wasn't worse. It sure could have been. The doctors put a chest tube into John's lung to drain the blood that collects there. They also gave John and epideral pain block in his upper back. This has made John quite comfortable to be able to take deep breathes. Rib pain cause people to breath shallow, quick breaths. This can cause the lung to collapse and the hole in his lung not to heal properly.
Within 48 hours of the accident they have had John up and taking several walks in the hospital halls every day. This afternoon they have taken out John's chest tube and his epideral. We are hoping to go home tonight. They are going to take a chest x-ray in a few hours and if it looks good they will give him a prescription for the pain and let us go home. It the x-ray reveals something different, we may have to be transfered up the U of U Med Center. Our insurance co. wants us in a hospital they contract with and will not cover us here past today.
Thanks to many of you for you well wishes, phone calls, visits, and most important your prayers.

6 comments:

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

i'm so glad it wasn't more serious. we were scared there for a while. we'll keep him in our prayers!

Ashley said...

I have been praying for John, as well as you and your family. I am so glad that its not as bad a it could be. Let me know if you need anything. anything at all! I would love to help you any way I can.

Freddie said...

So does John not have a broken collar bone? I was told he had broken the ribs and his collar bone and we were thinking that was why he said his face was going numb. Im so sorry this all happened!! Does John remember any more details as to how he rolled the 4 wheeler? We could not find damage to the 4 wheeler so the accident didnt make much sense to us. I do think that he had angels there on skyline drive. What are the chances that a medical nurse and county sherrif were coming along the road right behind him. Wow! We are so thankful and we love you and will contine our prayers for all of you. Nicloe was so cute and tried to be so brave when I saw her. One funny thing.... I told her I wish I had been there with a camara.. she stood there for a minute with an odd look on her face and said "Why? why would you want to take a pic of someone getting hurt like that? She was very confused by me.. I told her that he would want to see pictures of it some day when he was feeling better. She smiled and said "oh ya i guess he might" but I could tell she still thought I was a bit gruesome.

kateworthi said...

So scary. I had so much deja vu reading that. But I'm glad John will be okay, and won't have to go through what my dad had to. Stupid Joe's Valley... (I'm only kind of kidding :). It sounds like he was super blessed to have all the right people show up to help him "coincidentally". That is wonderful. Your family is in our prayers. We love you and hope J continues to have a great recovery!!!!

Jill Bagley said...

Oh Heather!!! we were all just worried sick when we found out. Especially my dad!!!
you are all in our thoughts and prayers.
im starting to think that joes valley is cursed :)
i know that we have all probably had a lot of protection there as well, but after my dads accident in that area, and now john, it sure makes you wonder.
thank you for blogging that. you wrote it out so well.
we are hoping for a quick and full recovery!
love ya

Ryan and Andrea said...

We are very glad to hear John is home & ok. Sure wish we could be there to help out.