Thursday, December 25, 2008

Cancun for Christmas

John and I returned late last Friday night from a 7 night vacation get-a-way in Cancun, Mexico. We went with Heidi & Mark Simpson, (my sister and bro-in-law), they were celebrating their 20th Wedding Anniversary and asked if we wanted to tag along. J0hn and I gave each other this vacation as our Christmas to each other. We stayed in an immaculate, gorgeous, all-inclusive Resort that was right on the beach, the Ocean Coral Turquesia. It was in the Riviera Maya area, about 10 miles south of Cancun. The highlights of the trip were the days we just stayed at the resort, laying by the beach or the pool. We enjoyed visiting and laughing with the Simpsons, soaking in the sun, and eating the amazing, yummy, beautifully presented food at the resort. (All you can eat food, unlimited drinks, and non-motorized actitivities were included in the cost of the resort.) We did leave the resort to do a few excursions. We visited the cultural center, X-Caret, went to one of the worlds "new" 7 Wonders, Chichen Itza, and also enjoyed the best snorking "water park" or natural aquarium, Xel-Ha. We spent an afternoon shopping in the town of Playa de Carman as well.
We had such a fun, relaxing, wonderful time. I would love to go back and take the children with us. Although, I loved being with John without the distraction of caring for the children. I'm always in such awe when I visit new places in the world, see the beauty of the new landscape and feel the Lord's love for the native people there. I gain a real love and appreciation for people all over the world, my brothers and sisters. It really strengthens my faith in a loving Heavenly Father who is watching out for and blessing His children everywhere. The Mexican people were so pleasant and happy, yet so humble.
The last morning of our vacation I was up early and out walking alone on the beach just as the sun rose. It was so beautiful and brought tears to my eyes as I felt the sun's warmth and the Holy Spirit overwhelmed me with a feeling of God's love for me and my family. I know that Jesus Christ is the son of God and like the "sun" He will always be there to light and warm my way and the way for my children. What a peace this brings. I pray I can help my children gain that testimony and knowledge so they can have that peace in their lives. Nature has a way of helping us feel closer to our Savior, as He created this beautiful world for us. I'm grateful I had the chance to spend time in that amazing part of the world.
We all left our College aged children tending our younger children. What a blessing to John and I that we have adult children we trust to care for our younger children. It is a joy to know that not only can Nichole, Erik, and Nate care for the younger children's physical needs, but that they love and nuture the younger children too. We came home to find all was well and everyone was happy.

I love the hammock's!!! I would have brought one home if I could have brought the
palm tree's too!!!


Fun costumes in the streets of the Playa de Carman shops.


Heidi & Heather just outside the lobby of our Resort. It was windy the first part of the week, but still very warm and sunny.


My view of the ocean from my lounge chair by the pool.


John was a sport to keep going to the drink shack and bringing us back non-alcholic Strawberry Daqueries and non-alcholic Conga's.


John at Chichen Itza. We really enjoyed this tour. It was a 2 1/2 hour bus ride each way, but very interesting to learn of the Mayan people.


Heather in one of the 4 pools at the Resort. The water was a bit chilly for me, but the
spa chairs felt great.


Our set up on the Beach. Our room was on the second floor in the building behind John. We could see and hear the ocean from our balcony. This was our first day there, it was cloudy and windy, but we are from Utah and had left in a snowstorm! The rest of our days there we enjoyed better weather.


We had such a great time at the beautiful resort. We felt very spoiled.

3 comments:

Annica said...

Looks like you guys had an amazing time!!! And you probably went at perfect timing because of all the snow!! Happy Holidays!

The Fox Family said...

i am so jelous. you look so pretty and tan in all the pictures.

cookingsherri said...

I am so glad you had such a good time. You deserve it. Thanks for posting.