Saturday, October 31, 2009

LDS Church History Tour

Some fun photo's from the Tour
Jana and John in a Nauvoo Quilt Shop. This old creepy guy met us at the door.

Dave Wilkie, tour director and John, tour guide with new hair do's they got in a Truck stop somewhere in Ohio.



Heather, John, Jana, in Niagra Falls, Maid of the Mist boat ride. Even if it is only 45 degree's and windy, you must ride the Maid of the Mist just to experience the power of the water!



Rock Wall in Sacred Grove, Palmyra N.Y.





Greg, Freddie, Jana, John, Heather with Palmyra Temple in Background.





Oh how we miss the amazing fall colors of the East!





Greg, Freddie, Jana, John, Heather at Carthage Jail.



For the last 3 years John has been hired by a small travel company to be a tour guide on a Fall LDS Church History Tour. It has been a great experience for John, but with all that was going on in our lives the last 3 years I have not been able to go with him until this year. I'll admit that I decided to go mostly to please John. He's really wanted me to come with him these last few years. It wasn't that I didn't want to go, but as a busy mom it is sometimes almost more than it's worth to get everything ready at home before you leave for a 9 day trip, especially when it is to go to places that you have been to many, many times. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Church History Sites, but I've been blessed to be there multiple times with my family over the last 11 years.

But, I'm so glad that I went on this trip. It was such a spiritual, emotional boost. I felt the Lord's sweet soft spirit at these sites where such sacrifice and faith had been shown by the early Saints. I also felt such a lift just by relaxing, having time with my husband, laughing and visiting with others on the tour, and getting a chance to only have to take care of myself for a time. John's brother Greg and his wife Freddie, and John's sister, Jana were also on the tour and I had such an enjoyable time visiting with them on the bus and at many meals. It was fun to make new friends too. I learn so much from listening to other people as they share with me what they are doing in their families. John did such a good job with sharing history, stories, and applying what the Saints had gone through to our own lives.

Thanks to my mom for watching the kids for a weekend. Thanks for Erik letting us have Nichole back for over a week to watch the kids and then spend a few days with her.

1 comment:

The Fox Family said...

fun! mom...that picture with you and Dad by that tree in the parking lot...ow ow...your legs look awesome! You look like you have a 16 year old body!! And dad is WAY to into that hat! :)